Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Into the Future

Hi All -

It's OCTOBER!! I've written in my blog lots and lots since August - unfortunately - it's been only in my mind. Since getting home, I've been more inclined to live my life daily - rather than writing about it - although I've been promising myself I'd get around to writing more often and just haven't done it.



Anyway - can't upload any pictures from the pc I'm writing on but wanted to get a few thoughtsdown before they go the way of the do-do bird, into extinction.


First off - the last 3 weeks of the tour were easier in many ways to live through - no more 11,000' climbs. Still no rain. Much more used to riding. Riding a bike better suited to the purpose. There were up and down hills to get over but other than the 112% grade in Canada -

nothing too major. The challenge (at that point) for me was to finish the ride and do so in the most efficient, effective way possible. I realized that I enjoyed going through Michigan because it was familiar territory. (The impact of familiarity should not be underestimated - we also shouldn't be slaves to it - as in - "we never did it this way before"). The environment was much more like upstate NY where I live than being in the desert. Duh! Trees - greenery, rolling landscape, etc. Not too much humidity and certainly not as hot as the desert had been. Riding along Lake Michigan was lovely as was staying in the state park that we camped in one night.

Getting into Canada was a big treat. The welcome was incredible and the hospitality throughout was phenomenal. I enjoy visiting Canada - Dave & I honeymooned there 10 years ago and I was there when I was 7 for Expo '67 with my family - Mom, Dad, Edie, Lena & I think my grandfather. Heading back over the Rainbow Bridge at Niagra Falls was quite an experience also. Seeing all these riders biking as one, making our way back to the states stands out as a trip highlight. Didn't receive the same welcome as when we went into Canada (like 300 people and 3 tents full of snacks, and souvenoirs) but for me it was coming home. The excitement really began building as the days passed and the end of the tour got closer. Many people had mixed feelings about it and I did too but to a small degree.


I've been wondering why this experience hasn't had the impact on me that a) I thought it would and b) that it has had on others. I realize that riding any or all of this tour was a major commitment and sacrifice but that OMG sense of having participated and completed (for the most part) it still hasn't hit me. People who hear about what I've done are really "impressed" and think it was a great thing. I think that what was great was the inspiration for the tour itself and fulfilling a mandate by God to care for and be there for others. It was a great, creative way to address the needs of brothers & sisters who don't have the resources that many of us do. But I, who get excited over the silliest things am not overly excited with myself for having done this. It's kind of weird. I mean, I don't regret doing it, I'm happy to have done it, I think that it was part of many efforts to address the issue of poverty and related concerns but I just haven't been all crazy about it. And this isn't about anyone else or the tour itself. Perhaps it's because I did it but it's over. Maybe it's because my sense is that it really is just a beginning or should be of a long term effort to continue addressing and seeking change in a system that is falls short of what it should be about - seeing that EVERYONE has enough resources to live on - which I believe is the case. The ride, as we were reminded of at our final rally (Sat. Aug 30th CRC in Wyckoff NJ), is or should be only the beginning of an effort to eradicate poverty, for us riders and tour participants in the long run - sort of like a kick-off event. We as individuals and congregations and members of surrounding communities need to be looking for ways to continue to see that the hungry get fed; see that there is no one else in our world thirsting for literal water or righteousness; see that everyone has enough- enough medical care, insurance, money in the bank, and all the things that so many of us can take for granted and so many more can only dream about.



The ride did accomplish it's purpose in that over 2.1 million dollars were raised to be used toward these efforts. Riders rode, stories were told, mission was accomplished but I am curious about something. One of the stated purposes of the ride was to raise awareness, awareness of poverty -(I'm really curious as to who isn't aware of its existence). Awareness of ways to alleviate and eradicate it - if only. But what is the standard by which we judge as to whether or not that was accomplished? Is there a way to measure the level of awareness prior to the tour? Is there a way to measure the impact of the tour on people's awareness during and after the ride? If so - what is is it? Who determine(d)(s) the level of success that we achieved? And of course the ever so obvious hermeneutical question, "how are we defining success?" I know that the tour itself was publicized so people did become aware of the fact that people were riding bicycles across North America for the purpose of raising funds and awareness of poverty related issues. There were newspaper articles and t.v. interviews. The tour made it into our denominational magazines. But the issue of poverty? And how we can participate in eradicating it - is there any more awareness of that than there was prior to the ride? And - if there is, does it, will it make a difference? How? At one level - it will make a difference only if we as individuals want it to. If we as the Body of Christ say it matters so much that we will continue to do what we can to meet the needs of the world - then it will make a difference. I'm sure that the distribution of the funds raised will have a direct impact upon those who receive them but since I am not aware of how and to whom they will be distributed, I don't know what that will look like.

I suspect that there will only be a handful of people who, having ridden will find some way to use the trip as a springboard for onging further action. I trust that for the most part - the people who signed on for this adventure had already been doing something in terms of mission and ministry prior to the ride and this was another way to respond to this particular need. Perhaps someone will have an ephiphany directly related to their ride about ways to address the root causes of poverty - something creative or truly inspiring. I think that for the most part though - the majority of us will have come back to our everyday lives, doing our best to be faithful in answering the call that God lays upon our hearts in ways large & small that generally make up our days. We will come back to our homes, families, jobs, careers, congregations having experienced something and knowing that what we did was important but only a small section on the long journey we call our lives. What comes next? I think that this was the question that another rider was posing on our email forum. Larry shared some thoughts about what the ride meant and was asking in some sense - "ok, now what? Now what are we to do with what we have learned & experienced this summer via the bike tour?" What if any will the long term impact be? What is the next step in our spiritual journey? How can I as I must, remain open to God's leading? How faithful am I being to carrying out my purpose in addressing these concerns in my everyday life as I obviously can't spend the rest of my life riding a bike across the world - even if it is for a good purpose?

I am continuing to ride - but at this point it is for health reasons more than anything. I am pretty sure I could ride in other fund raising events - although I would definitely prefer to have a touring bike to do that with. (I did have to return Lucy 2 back to her owner after the ride was over. Didn't have enough funds to keep her). I enjoy riding Lucy Blue - my hybrid - around the county - but still have a hard time getting up any kind of incline. I also prefer sitting up more or less straight if I am going to ride any great distance. Haven't done that yet. I'm riding about 80 or so miles a week to keep fit. Perhaps will have a day when I can head out for a loooong ride and then have Dave come pick me up.

In the meantime - I am as content as I ever have been and enjoying life back at home tending to our pets and the chickens. Wouldn't mind if Amber & Justin were closer to us but they are on their own paths in their own places so will keep in touch via phone, email and hopefully visits sooner rather than later.

There are other thoughts I've had about the trip -and I'll write them sooner or later - but for now, have to turn in - 6:30 comes quickly. I've maintained the early to bed - early to rise schedule since coming home - for the most part - and enjoy having the whole day to attend to things. Last week I was up later than usual since I was visiting friends, my sister and attending my niece's wedding but going to get back on track.
Peace & blessings to all this night -

No comments: