Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Very quick summary.  On Monday - August 19, 2013 - Dawn G & her kids brought me up to Ausable Chasm - (about 3 miles south of Plattsburgh).  We had a very nice drive, stopped for dinner at a little family hamburger shack and then got to the campsite about 6:30 p.m.  I was somewhat nervous/excited but settled down at Pelaton & small group.  Tuesday - I woke up after a somewhat restless night (hard ground doesn't help) and got myself and gear together, had breakfast and then realized that the key to the lock keeping my bicycle attached to a small metal rail was missing. And missing. And missing.  I looked but could not find the little devil so had to get someone to free the bike.  Yes, FREE the bike.  Clip, clip - one of the support staff - John - who drives the gear truck had a bolt cutter and there went Dave's antique chain.  "Good" start to a very long day of all uphill riding.  I made it to Whitehall with some assistance from Sherry - the Sweep person.  Thank goodness Sherry doesn't mind the slow drive.  Got to camp about 5 after a number of attempts to make it up those lovely inclines.  Took a shower in one of the two available at the Whitehall Marina.  Had dinner and went to sleep about 8:30, 9:00 - no small group gathering as it had been such a long hot hard day. 
Wednesday - that would be today - I awoke at 5 - started to get ready to go but crawled back under the cover for a few extra minutes of shut-eye. I say that because it wasn't sleep.  Got up - had breakfast - headed out to Route 4 south toward East Greenbush - some 80 or so miles down the line and did fairly well until around 2 p.m. when I got a flat.  Had to walk after leaving a message w/Al to have someone pick me up.  And Sherry showed up just about the time I really started having second, and third and fifth thoughts about what I was doing.  We got to the Y about 3:30- 4 and it was nice to get my tent set up and get some of the damp clothes from yesterday drying in the sun.  I wanted to go shower and get dry since I was drenched from the sweat of being out in 90 degree weather but waited for my friend and rescuer - Mark - to get my tire changed.  Another Angel of Mercy who is blessed with patience and grace.  Tube replaced, shower bag in hand I got my shower, finishing in time to get on the line for dinner - and of course it was the end of the line because that seems to be my place on these rides.  Just call me Caboose.  After dinner - went to try to get online - and thanks to Larry - figured out how to get the WIFI switch on.  YAY.  Just in time for our Pelaton (group gathering) and small group meeting.  Dear friend Marey showed up just then so we quickly greeted one another, I met her husband and then she went to see their son and we had our meeting.  Interesting discussion. Would like to recount now but just want to get back to the tent and go to sleep.  My body is saying - ENOUGH ALREADY... I did get a chance to come back, catch up on FB and jot down these quick notes so that I can at least remember what has happened in the last 48 hours.  You'd be surprised how much gets forgotten in the quest to get from Point A to Point B within a decent amount of time - which for me is hit or miss.  But thanks to the Angels, I have made it so far.  Good night and God bless.

No comments: