Thursday, August 14, 2008

Back on the road

It's Thursday - my second day of riding. I got back to the tour on Tuesday night - 10:oo p.m. thanks to Rev. Liala B, of Chicago. She picked me up and drove me to Palos Heights where there were tents and trucks but we didn't see anyone for a couple of minutes. Liala didn't want to leave me there - bless her - until we found someone and not too much later I nearly ran across Bert sitting by the truck. Everyone else was either in their tents or staying with folks in the area. Fortunately - I didn't have to set up my tent as the tour was invited to stay in the college buildings (Trinity Christian College). Since I hadn't set up prior to getting back, I figured trying to do that for the first time in the dark wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world. I got in - put my bag on a couch and hit the proverbial hay. Unfortunately - (and Dave, you aren't reading this), somewhere between that point and the time I woke up in the morning - my sunglasses disappeared. Yes, the really expensive ones that I got just for this trip. If no one at the college has picked them up, and I didn't leave them in Liala's car then who knows where they are.

No pictures from my trip back but I did meet an angel at Albany airport. For a couple of reasons I needed to bring everything with me on the plane - didn't want to check any bags so I tried to consolidate as much as possible. We got my clothes AND the sleeping bag in the small carry-on case. However, there was a bunch of other things that needed to go and the check in person said that if I didn't get it all together, then I wouldn't be able to bring both bags on the plane. Let's just say I got a tad upset and decided that perhaps I wouldn't return. So, I sat in a lounge chair, pouting - yes - I know, shocking - and someone came over just to check the seat for his keys. They weren't there but as he left - he put his hand on my arm and prayed a blessing that things would turn out better for the night. After that - I pulled everything out of the one bag, everything out of the other and repacked. Except for 3 items - I got everything I needed in the carry on and made the trip. It went smoothly and Liala picked me up, we had a great talk and I got back on the road.

Pictures to come as the connection just went off.

Anyway - the ride yesterday went very well. It was a short ride, a cool day and mainly level. This I can work with. There were only 2 mishaps on my part. Well, not totally mine; the first was when I rode with a group and Lou H. was part of that group. He came up behind us and it looked at first like he would stop on time and with no problem. However, things can happen in a split second and he couldn't unclip his shoe so that as he got up to where I was, his arm shot out and before either of really knew what was happening - he fell over on me and we both went down. After checking to see if we were ok, Marti D. very quickly offered to...
no, not help us up - but wanted to take our picture. I'm surprised she could focus she was laughing so much. Of course we were ok and I said sure - go ahead - shoot away. Be sure to check out her blog to see the site of Lou & myself lying prostrate, legs askew.

We picked ourselves up - got going and made our way to 2nd Highland CRC for lunch which they so graciously prepared. We ate and ate and got back on the road. I took off - apparently in violation of the mandate for the day that we stay in pairs. Didn't know so enjoyed myself riding along, talking wth people and taking more picutres. It all went well as Roland & Clare I got going riding togther, until my tire made this phhfftt sound. The tube went and Roland & Clare did their thing and got me back on the road. Roland again comes to the rescue as he let me use his patched tube which he did have with him. Since I didn't have an extra one. Yes, I was not prepared but I had forgotten the size tires that were on the bike so I figured I'd pick up replacements when I got back to the tour. However, I thought I'd have a day or two before any mishaps occured but no!!! Apparently God/the universe wanted to be sure I didn't think things were going to be too easy my first day back so I got to add to the evening statistic report.

Anyway - we split up again - I ran into Mark, Bryan & Manley and we rode into the campsite together - Indiana Dunes - a very nice site if anyone is interested. We had crossed into Indiana earlier in the day.

The night went well - other than the mosquitos which were abundant. I said the evening prayer and we went to small group. That was a time for a little catching up and then we went to our tents. I got to go to the new one that Rachael & Moonray sent me - back in Denver. This tent has traveled more than some people. It was mailed home (to me, in NY) from there and then I brought it back with me to the tour. Rach & Moonray - it's great. Sets up easily and there is a lot of room. Of course when I woke up this morning - I found that a bird had "christened" it. Sorry - but I did clean it off. I was hopeful that there would be no other mishaps to come.
And no major ones did for me - as "almost" getting creamed by a car doesn't count as someone did actually get hit today. Prayers please for Lois who got clipped by a car mirror. Someone was a little too close. Alida & I had to stop pretty quickly as someone had failed to stop at the stop sign and pulled out right in front of us. We were a bit shaken up but kept going. I had been riding with a group earlier but Alida & I stopped to get more water from a very helpful young man named David. He and his grandparents were another of many people who have set up water stations and just signs of encouragement along the way - HINT HINT.

I ended up back w/the group and Alida went off with someone else after our "Walter" stop.
Also got another picture of all the great "Kitchen Ladies." They could put together a calender with all the pictures that have been taken of them and sell them to donate the proceeds to "Sea To Sea".

The route took us past the beach & the famous "Sherman's Ice Cream", where I got "Hawaiian Ice". We spent about 1/2 an hour there and then continued on to our site - the Baseline Middle School in South Haven. And here I sit - updating the blog - not getting to put pictures on - but trying to share some of the experiences of this trip.

It was good being able to ride w/a group these last couple of days. It's not that I don't enjoy riding on my own - as I do - but I have been making better time and I enjoy feeling like I'm not dragging in at the end of the day - but it does help to strengthen the bonds I think. Of course in a group this size, bonds have an interesting way of being created, strengthened, challenged and even sometimes weakened. It's that last part that can be a challenge in & of itself. No group of any size will escape having those moments when people rub each other the wrong way - not because of any innate problem but just because - people are people and it's inevitable that stuff happens. But people seem to work things out or just let them go and we try to focus as John said tonight in prayer on why we are together.

So, that's what we will continue to do - and love each other through our adventures.
TO ALL THE FOLKS FROM NY/BINGHAMTON AREA - IF YOU CAN COME BY THE ROUTE or HAVE YOUR CHURCH OFFER US SOME SNACKS - WE WILL BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL - AND YOU WILL BE A SIGNIFICANT PART OF THIS ADVENTURE.
BE WELL & BE BLESSED -

1 comment:

Haunted Fox said...

Hey, Jo, we miss you! Hope everything is ok- haven't heard from you in a while!

I finished my application to Duke and am working on the ones to Arizona and others. Now we play the long waiting game...

Things appear to be progressing with my Guatemala project, finally.

Thinking of you,

Rachael