Monday, August 11, 2008

Random Thoughts & Pictures -2

The following pictures are from the first week. (Ithink a couple of the pictures are out of order. Not sure how that happened but I thought I had all the Leavenworth, Ellensburg
pictures in the previous blog.



I passed this site and took the shot as it shows us heading south.
WSU is where Amber is now enrolled. She got to Pullman WA
last week (around Aug 1st). She headed west as I was riding back east.

Thought I'd "shoot" the pony. He seemed to notice that a camera was pointing his way.



This sign was on the side of the place I stopped in for a break & a coke. This is where my
thirst for Coke seemed to take hold. The bottom of the sign says, "The weather will change", and "No, I don't know what time it is."
I took this shot as I sat on the curb in front of the store. It was just after taking this break that
I encountered the man who I nearly gave my bike to. The road took a definite upward turn after this stop.

I eventually gave up the struggle & hitched a ride with Corey. We ended up driving almost back to Leavenworth as he needed gas for the van & more water.
A shot showing some of the logging results.


Heading to Ellensburg -
Yakima is Thursday's destination.
Corey drops me off on the other side of the incline and I head down on Lucy Blue.
I liked this scene. It reminds me of a picture my dad took years ago when he & mom
took a trip to Washington State in the 70's.Got to Ellensburg. This is a shot Larry S. took as we left the school on Thursday, July 3rd.Larry takes off to lead the way to Yakima.Sites from the Yakima Canyon.
About 5 miles from the site.
Took a break along the bike path.
Coolin' the "dawgs"

Finally at the school. Later that afternoon, I caught a ride to the local Wal-Mart with
Dr. Sandy. After dinner, she took me w/her to her office where I got to catch up on some
emails and posting. This was one of many examples of this type of help & support the riders
experienced throughout the tour.

Dr. Sandy. To her right is Frank F. He rode from Seattle to Denver. The person in the background aiming - a camera - is Jonathon Stoner - one of our 2 media people.Jenn & Megan - cooling off in the air-conditioned school.
Jenn is Ed's assistant & Megan is the other media person. More of our great support team.Saying goodbye to the Riverside Christian School who graciously hosted us during our time
in Yakima.

1 comment:

Haunted Fox said...

Some random thoughts for you today- I won't depress you by telling you how my day at work went LOL!

First, have you ever looked into becoming a spiritual director for people? Look it up- it's pretty interesting.

Then, I found this passage in a book I have been slowly digesting for a year: "Teresa recognized spiritual depression...and wrote about...feelings that you have become completely detached, not disconnected...from your life...If you become depressed or anxious about the difficulties of living a conscious life, stop all inner practices...,[work] at other tasks that ground you and take your mind off yourself. The spiritual path is about the pursuit of God, not the pursuit of yourself. If the object of your inner journey becomes yourself, then you will break down...because you are imploding from attention to your fears as opposed to your release from them."

I thought of you and your wise decision to take a break when you needed it. I thought these words might provide some comfort to you as you regain the group and continue onward. You're further along if you can recognize your soul's need for a rest as equally important to your body's need. Teresa actually recognized this step as being one of the later ones in the journey to the spirit.

Happy trails and roads and whatnot to you. May the wind be at your back the whole day tomorrow and the rain hold off until you are in a safe place.

HF