Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Inclines

I heard from someone recently about how he has a hard time getting up inclines.  Any grade of incline.  Doesn't matter if it's just a slight rise in the road...it becomes the Rockies.  I soooo identified.  That's what it's like for me when I ride.  I can ride for miles and miles, I can ride for miles and miles...oops - wrong song.... but I can ride for miles on flat, level terrain.  Put an anthill in the mix and forget it....I'm as winded as an old organ bellows gasping its last breath.  But tonight I rode up quite the steep grade on Gahbauer Road.  Gahbauer parallels our road but as you head onto it from Rt 217 you have reason to believe your bike will just keel over in an expression of sympathy with its rider.  That would be me.  Yet after an initial hesitation - I did have to unclip my pedal so I didn't in fact fall over sideways - I got back on and headed up what feels like the side of previously aforementioned Rocky Mountain.  And then I went on to find another really steep - going up into the air kind of feeling - not too far from the first one.  And I almost made it up.  It's been a while since I've done any up and up riding.  The kind that's like ALL UP  - on either side of the peak - so I have to say I was very happy with my attempt tonight.  I may have only gone about 3 or 4 miles but I really saw how much more improved I am at this point than I was even after riding the tour last time.

Well, as they say - "ain't no mountain high enough" to keep me, well in this case, to keep me from finishing what I have set out to do.  And that is to make a difference.  There will always be inclines  - obstacles and challenges put the point is to do the best one can and to make a difference, regardless of how one gets through the mountain to the other side.  And that's exactly the point.  The point is to get to the other side whether through, or around or over the top.  Who cares, as long as we don't stop....

No comments: