Sunday, July 22, 2012

Training - One O One - Don't FALL DOWN.

It's been a busy week nor did the weekend provide any real opportunity for slowing down.  There was a lot of work to be done on the farm and with Justin here (our 30 yr old) we are really beginning to make progress with all the projects.  However, he took a week to visit his sister in WA state...That did provide some relief as he doesn't believe in letting time get away without getting something accomplished.  He's more like the bikers (2008 ride) who got up, got on their bikes and got going as early in the morning as they possibly could and they didn't really slow down until reaching the next camp site.  Well, they did take breaks here and there at the occasional coffee shop or other colorful local eating establishment.  But then, after their moment of indulgences, they got back in the saddle and kept pushing those pedals until they reached our daily destination.  Well, he did the same thing so to speak - weeding, mucking and all those things that need to get done on the farm.  We even got a couple of workouts in as well.  I guess it was all good, because tonight after a full weekend of working and socializing I decided I needed to get a ride in as well. (Want to get my training miles in and also needed to work off the candy binge I indulged in thanks to a candy bar at yesterday's wedding).  It was almost 8 p.m when I set off - but still pretty light. Darn if 30 seconds into the ride I was down on the ground - in pain from landing on my wrist and jamming my elbow.  Dave walked out of the house just in time to see my "fall from grace" and he came right over to check things out.  So of course the first thing he asked was, "Does it hurt?"  Good thing I was crying somewhat or else my response would have been less than gracious.  But after a few tears and some tentative moving of my  wrist, I got up and hopped on the bike - putting in about 13 miles round trip.  I do have to be careful as about 3 miles into the ride, my right hand tingled and then got numb.  I know it's not from the fall as I've had this problem for several years now and I'm pretty sure the last bike trip didn't help.   Between the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, my right arm is a bit vulnerable so I hope I can figure something out by next year.  I got back just after dark and after putting the loose chickens back into their cage and closing the hen house up - my next step was to get into that shower and get the cold water running.  Well, it's time to finish up for the day...things are looking good as far as training.  Thank you B for my bike.  It makes a world of difference.

No comments: