Friday, July 13, 2012

It's HOT today.  It's been HOT for several days.  A tree down the road has lost a good bunch of leaves.  They are piled up under the tree - crunchy and an far too early reminder that fall is not too far away.  And after fall, winter, then spring, the JUNE...time for riding C2C.  And all I can think about is the fact that it will be just as hot next year on the ride and I can all to clearly remember the heat from 2008.  Everyone had to experience it and it seems like some can just slough it off - but I HATE the heat.  Which is so ironic considering for a good portion of my life - I would happily lay outside in the sun - from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. going for the tanned leatherhide look.  (Ok, I didn't want to look like the Tanning Bed Mom but I definitely liked the tan rather than the pasty look).  And still love going to the beach.  But I was happy to have missed the 2 week period of riding through Kansas & Nebraska last time around as I heard the days hit 100 degrees with headwinds all the way. And prior to that, I would hide in the sliver of shade that a road side sign would create in order to convince myself that I could get cool.  The sight of me scrunching up under the sage bush also probably was somewhat amusing  - anything to get out of the blazing hot sun.  So now, as I try to fulfill my commitment to really getting ready for this ride, I am wrestling with the reality of the discomfort I will be facing both in practice and on the ride.  Lord - help me to push past the misery of sweat running down every inch of skin, into eyes and crevices as I prepare and then live through the actual ride.  Just sayin'  Thanks.

No comments: