Saturday, June 28, 2008

Early a.m. thoughts

So, it's about 4:00 a.m. Saturday. (7:00 a.m. back home) Dave, are you up yet? :)
Random thoughts -
need some last minute items...don't forget.

Did you know that there must be a powerful cell phone signal around?
Charged my phone Tuesday night and haven't needed to since then. At home, have
to charge at least once a day. More if left on inside our house.
Did you know it's been sunny since I got here Tuesday?
No rain, clouds or HUMIDITY!! I could get really used to this. Although Jess & Rob say
it's not like this all the time. But the winter doesn't usually get lower than 40. And if you
want your snow & cold you can go to the mountains. I could definitely get used to this.
Did you know that there is another coffee chain (don't think national) that native Seattlites
(my word - not one of the lost tribes) have recommended? Tully's preferred over the other more familiar brand. Not that there aren't plenty of those around too.
Do you know how close I came to not having my bike clothes, tent, sleeping bag and other supplies?
Jess was going to take me to the university to meet someone who offered to help me
put my bike together. I originally thought we'd be there by noon. Jess
had to change the tire on her car but a special key for one of the lug nuts was
missing so she couldn't get the tire off.
Eventually she called Rob to come home so we could use his car. While we were waiting
I saw the UPS truck park down the street. The only reason I knew he came was that we
were all outside working on the car and then waiting for Rob. I saw the driver walk down
the road w/what looked like a package in his hand. He went back to the truck
and started to pull away.I stopped him & asked him if he had a big box for delivery.
He asked me for the address. I gave him Jess's. He said he hadn't seen the address
and was about to bring the box back to the center. If we had been out running errands
like we had planned - (even if we had been able to get the bike together ourselves),
we wouldn't have been home when he came, I wouldn't have seen him and my box of
supplies would have been sent back home. So - amazing how it was all taken care of.
And please don't tell me it was just a coincidence - not this one.

Did you know it's mere hours away from the beginning of this ride and there's no turning back?
Well, I could I suppose but what would be the point? It has definitely finally sunk in that
I am about to get on a bike and ride nearly 4000 miles. Had to sooner or later.
And as they say - sort of - a bike journey of 3895 miles begins with a single push on the

pedal. That's all.

Did you know I think I am going to try and go back to sleep?
This is not the time for missing out on all my zzzzzzs.

2 comments:

kbach352 said...

Remember these miracles when the going gets tough. You are never alone. Kris

Jo said...

Thanks Kris -
I needed that.
Thanking God for the miracle of your friendship lo these many years ago.