Friday, June 27, 2008

Thoughts

So far, so good. It's Friday Morning...Happy Friday everyone!
I have been getting up fairly early - at least according to the clock. My normal time to wake up is around 8:30. But that's 5:30 here in Seattle so that's about the time I'll need to be getting up once we get on the road. I'll want to be getting an early start so that I won't be out in the heat of the mid-day sun while riding. I think that will take some working up to however. I realize that I let myself get distracted from my goal this year as I tried to prepare for this ride. (Not that I didn't have a really legit reason as some of you know but now I have to deal with the consequences). I'm really starting at almost ground zero in terms of conditioning and it's going to be a challenge to keep up. On the other hand - it's reinforcing the fact that we do the best we can with what we can and this is where the faith & trust factor come in. God brought me here - I have no doubt about that and God is not going to leave me as I seek to serve faithfully. I will be doing the leg work (for real) but not in my own strength. And being with a group of like minded riders will surely help in terms of support and encouragment and guidance. So once again - it's a partnership thing.

Speaking of support - THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH to everyone who has helped or been involved in some way that's gotten me this far. This morning I want to especially acknowledge Rachel & her cousin Jess. (This is not to diminish what everyone else has done in any way). Rachel provided support and a number of things that I needed so I didn't have to spend money unnecessarily. And because of her - I am staying in Seattle with her cousin's family and having a chance to decompress from recent events. This is also allowing me to get everything together -last minute prep without feeling undue pressure. But the best thing about it is that what has been offered most is the true expression of hospitality - taking a stranger into one's home, treating her with kindness and making her feel like a true family member. (Especially the kids who after one day have felt comfortable enough to be themselves around said stranger - LOL). Jess has driven me around - Rob has made dinner and helped me get my pictures onto the computer and the boys (Kevin & Mikey) have tolerated a change in the schedule without undue angst. (Kudos to Kevin who came shopping w/me & Jess for supplies and stuck it out for about 3 hours as we roamed around Target deciding what I needed and what I could do without. We both got cranky around the same time and Jess got us home for dinner -nachos - which soothed both savage beasts. I was probably worse than Kev).

This time w/the Foster family - (there is something symbolic in their name I think) has allowed me to really get my mind around what I am about to do and just let go of some of the stuff from the last few months. I have had moments of overwhelming emotion -(surprise, surprise) which I think has been a release of some of the past allowing for a sense of renewal. I've also been privleged to be the recipient of Sharky' attention ( the family dog - a yellow lab). My first night here Rob had to take Jessica to work and the boys went with them so I was on my own. Sharky made sure that while I was alone - I wasn't lonely. He followed me EVERYWHERE and where I sat - he sat. He also allowed me the honor of scratching his belly - (& he's no small thing) to both our satisfaction. This is one loving, lovable pal. The 2 cats have been kind of scarce but they also make it feel like home. The only thing missing are chickens - our newest family members.
I actually miss them but I will be home in time to get reacquainted before the eggs start coming. Meanwhile - I am trying to engage in as much mental preparation as I can since that's about all I can do at this point. Later on this morning I will be putting the bike back together and praying that it at least holds up until I get to the University tomorrow to have someone look at it. And I hope I can figure out what that little small piece is that was at the bottom of the box.

I will be picking up the last of my supplies today but I have now figured out why we need a memory stick. If we don't have our own computers - (which many of us decided not to bring due to weight restrictions) we need to be able to get our pictures sent then off of the group computers which will be provided for our use. I also started thinking that maybe an MP3 player would have been a good idea. Music is such an integral part of my life and it occured to me that having "Born To Run" to listen to on the road would keep me energized. (Not that we can listen while riding but it was in my head this morning as I woke up and I realized it would be nice to hear it). As well as "Who Says - You Can't Go Home" and so many other inspirational tunes.

Anyway - for those who've come this far with me - thanks!! You're the best.
More later...

No comments: