Sunday, June 29, 2008

SUNDAY

Just saw an intriguing sight. Tonight's worship celebration ended and I was heading back to the dorm room. I saw 2 HUUGE crows hanging out and they flew off a little ways. And then I heard a scraping noise and saw a sqirrel climbing out of the garbage can, eating. It was so bold and so close. I was less than a foot away. Of course he made me think of all the people who also have to eat out of garbage cans for whatever reason which has led them to that place. I guess it's not too unusual to think along these lines given the purpose of this tour and the message of tonight's worship.
I found worship very relevant and timely for me. At the risk of upsetting some who may read this - I realized tonight somewhat clearly that I stepped away from the pastoral setting - not just because of all the stuff that occured over the last 2 years. I had to - in order to be able to keep loving.
The pastor read Galatians 5 - and talked about the particular fruit of love. His message also dovetailed with a scripture I came across yesterday in my calendar. It was from James and had to do with putting our faith into action - not just saying we love one another but living it as well.
His message also resonated in that he touched on the issue of how here in North America - worship plays out in a very consumerist fashion - in that we end up expecting to receive - but rarely are willing to give. It becomes more about what do I in the pew receive - rather than what can I do to serve God. It seems to me (just my opinion) that there is a corollary in the decline of the health of the churches that is being experienced in so many places.
Even this pastor - here on the west coast noted that it's not the size of the church - the amount of people - but the depth of their love that matters. That is a theme which has carried through several conversations this weekend as well.
How is love being expressed? How are we - the Body of Christ - living out our faith?

This is something I have tried to impart and just as importantly - something I seek and will continue to try to live out.

That is a key piece of why I am participating in this ride.

One last note- re: the fall I took this afternoon (actually 2- 1 more and it would have been
very trinitarian) - there may be more - but I hope that I've gotten that out of the way and can now continue on the tour - making progress - meeting people - doing A-I-F (awareness, involvement, funds) and seeing the country close up and personal.
And to live out the call that Christ has created for me.
Peace & blessings to all - especially my loved ones and for tonight - my partners along the way.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Oh, no! I was reading your post in a leisurely fashion, and then you slip in mention that you fell twice today!?! I'm hoping the message beping away on the answering machine isn't you calling from the ER! In any case, I'll see you tomorrow morning, after what I hope was a long night of sleep for you!

Love to Travel said...

hi jo
wishing you God's richest blessings on your tour of america helping the poor and feeding your soul with the beauty of God's world.
your friend in christ
Jo Venema Cambridge, ON

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog through a link on a discussion board that spoke about your sea to sea ride. Just wanted you to know that while you're all sleeping at night, I've got your prayer-back (I work night shift on the east coast). Good luck and God bless! I can't wait to read more from you as you make your way across the continent.