Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Lots of Work - Yeah & some fun

Have to cover 2 days since we didn't have access to satellite yesterday.
Monday started off fairly inauspiciously - the truck got packed, John led a group of us down
to Golden Gardens and we met up with everyone else. Jess, Rob, Kevin & Mikey met me at
the beach which was awesome. I just so appreciated having someone there who knew me and
came to see me off. Jess got some pictures of the tire dipping ceremony and it was quite the sight seeing all of us lined up in the water - rear tires in the water - and then heading off by groups back up the trail (20 miles) and then onward toward Sultan. For anyone who wants to see the route - I think you can find it online or grab a copy of the Sea To Sea meditation/map book. (Still available for $8.00).
(The beach is actually off Puget Sound which is part of the Pacific. I felt a tinge of homesickness - as the smell of saltwater drifted past awakening the memories of days past spent at the Shore. Of course I am also looking forward to it at the end of this adventure since Dave & I will be spending time there before heading back home.

Before we were even 50 feet away from the starting line, my bike started acting up. Whether it was the brakes, or tires or whatever, it just didn't want to ride smoothly. By the time John (a seriously capable bike mechanic) got it working - everyone else had pretty much gotten started. We continued back toward the University and not too far afterward found a bike shop that did some repairs. John also advised me - strongly - that I needed to lighten my load up as carrying more weight than necessary makes for a "longer" journey.
Unfortunately - it would be another 30 miles before I would reach the truck and our first camp sight so, I got to carry most of the extras that I thought might be needed - mainly pain killers, topical pain killers, snacks, lip balm, and other assorted items. John found someone o carry one of my packs since it was attached to the front of the bike and apparently was messing up the cables. The trail ride was terrific. I rode with another biker - Annette and we just really enjoyed ourselves cruising along. The path followed the Sound (I think) and I told Annette about the Heritage Trail in Monmouth County that is a good ride and how I hope one does get put in at home. Sorry neighbors - it is just such an enjoyable way to ride - off the road - attractive scenery - and all the other things that go along with recreational riding. What have discovered is that I do enjoy riding alone or with a friend. It's nothing personal fellow sojourners - I have learned through the years that I enjoy my company and while big groups are great at parties and concerts and yes - even worship - for me - I can appreciate the ride a bit more fully if it's just me or me & Dave or out with a couple of friends for a leisurely trip. Obviously - that's not what we are about for this adventure but it was well worth learning as I had been considering joining a riding club but have decided that I will pass on that option. And besides - there will never be another group like this and there doesn't need to be. But this will always be the group that sets the standard for what I would want in a riding club. As big as we are in numbers - so too is this group big in heart.
Something else I learned today was not what I heard previously about bikers (bicycling bikers) was that they can be very hardcore about their expectations and it could be kind of hard to break into the group. But whether it has anything to do with the issues and values that brought us together - or whether it transcends even that - this has been the most gracious and welcoming group of people one could ever hope to travel the continent with.
There are varying levels of bicycling abilities amongst us but I would pretty much have to say that I fall a the less experienced end of the scale. But that hasn't kept anyone from being supportive - helpful - encouraging and all other adjectives of that category.
I am fairly stunned that I finished yesterday's trek without keeling over (50 miles) never mind getting up and doing it again today. Today's ride was quite the challenge. 77 miles - with 10 going abou straight up - from Sultan - where we camped last night to Steven's Pass - up in the mountains - really, high mountains and then down hill all the way into Leavenworth where we are currently camping. That trip is wrth a story all its own which I will catch up with at some poing in the future but for now I will do my best to upload my pictures - get them set and then head to bed. Tomorrow a.m. will be coming very soon. (pictures still to come - I did not remember how to get them off the disc and onto the memory stick. I may have to ask the great media people what to do. They are here on the trip keeping the media updated about the trip, it's purpose and how people can still support the cause.)
BTW - as Jerry K says -
"It's not too late, you can still donate and participate"
BTW - Thanks to all the angels who have been part of this trip - both members and non.
You are making it possible for us all to partner not just with each other and our supporters but those whom we are seeking to serve.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Hi, Jo!
I'm glad to hear that the first two days went well! what do you think of Leavenworth? It is often called the "Bavaria of the USA", but a friend of mine who is from Germany hates thinks it's an awful, cheesy place.
Oh, BTW, the trail that you took(the burke-Gilman trail) on Monday went around Lake Washington, not Puget sound.

I was feeling tired for your sake after seeing the mountains you had to cover Tuesday - yikes! How does it feel to know that you have successfully biked over an entire -mountain range, one with snowpacked peaks?!

I think your bike is working against you! I hope the place you got it fixes was kiind and more reasonable than the Seattle city ones!

Talk to you soon!
Jess

Haunted Fox said...

Hi, Joanna! I was so happy this morning to see this post from you, finally knowing that you are underway on this journey. I share your love for the Pacific NW, which I might never have seen did Jess not live out there. It is just breathtaking- the trees, the water, the mountain air, etc. I always feel refreshed after a stay out there!

I am relieved to hear that you have made it the first two days, despite the bike trouble. I hope that has been completely straightened out now? That's one thing you don't want to be worrying about! I hope the tent, sleeping pad, warm clothes, etc. are working out for you, and that you are comfortable enough? Is there anything you'd like sent to the first drop point?

Re: being near the bottom end of experience in the group. I can only relate that to my own experience hiking. I have spent my entire life in the woods and wilderness, and am such a "low-tech" hiker that I am almost legendary among our group (I navigate by map, compass, and tree bark, for starters). I have been mountain climbing for 24 years, but do not consider myself a power hiker by any means. I always get discouraged when I do hike with a group of intensely goal focused power hikers, who aren't always willing to let me set the pace I need to care for my back. To them I'm a nuisance at best. However, the others recognize that I truly belong on the trail, and say they love hiking with me because of the perspective I bring- that I am returning home to a beloved place every time I am out there, and want to share my home with others. They realize I'm there to learn, grow, and connect with myself, not to brag about how many miles I did, or how many peaks I climbed. I'm always astounded when I run into a hiker who goes on and on about climbing 8 mountains in a day, but can't tell you what a birch tree looks like!

The point is, you are doing this for the right reason, you have a great attitude, and you should feel as if you have just as much right to be there as the power bikers. Maybe more so- because by helping you with their experience, assistance, and advice, they'll be less likely to make this into a personal journey about what "I" did. It sounds like this is happening for you, and I think that is wonderful. It also sounds like you are making friends already!

You are in my thoughts, and I'll do a shamanic ceremony for you this weekend, when I have more energy to give than I do right now.

All my love,
Rachael