Friday, July 11, 2008

More Random thoughts - Friday July 11

FIRST OFF - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DAVE!
Many of us are on this trip as our loved ones celebrate birthdays and anniversaries without us.
However, we remember them in our prayers and acknowledge the specialness of the occasion. (sp). We also keep our friends, families and strangers in prayer as they go through difficult situations so know that those of you in that situation are in the hearts and prayers of many.


I am having a brain block but the scripture verse for yesterday (July 10) is "God is doing a new thing - can you not see & perceive it?" Yesterday we left Baker City OR for Huntington, OR. I left B.C. before 7 a.m. & got to Huntington by TEN FIFTEEN - IN THE MORNING. It was amazing - I actually to spend time hanging out and socializing before NOON. It was a new experience and whether or not it occurs again - I did it. Of course the ride was fairly short and basically all down hill but hey - it was still great to be at the camp site before the gear truck pulled in.

To my former Drill Sargent - and D.I. (1984) and to some of my past camp counselors who seemed to think I have only 2 speeds - "slow" & "backwards" - nanny nanny boo boo!!

I can keep up. Maybe not always - but enough. I got to shoot a couple of games of pool with a fellow rider (Frank) and have another cold COKE - (note to Coca Cola Co. - while I'm not a fan of advertisement the way it's practiced in our culture - I would definitely consider doing a short term endorsement for you - a cold drink of Coke at key moments have kept me going when I wanted to just stop and sit in the road - and let the ride pass me by. I am not a fan of soda anyway but the things that keep us going (on the basically healthy side-soda is a "want", not a "need") are so greatly appreciated. Ice has become a treasured luxury. While the heat in these parts is dry (unlike the east coast where the cliche "it's not the heat, it's the humidity" is supposed to make it better) it's STILL HEAT!!!

I now know what a baked chicken would feel like if it could feel. Sorry chickies (our new family members). Yesterday I spoke with one of the many local people of Huntington who were so happy to have us in their community and as we spoke we stood outside in the sun. I enjoyed speaking with him but my left leg felt like it was ready to crisp off in pieces. I tried to gracefully & politely end the conversation but he was so enjoying it that I wasn't sure I'd have a leg left to stand on - never mind ride with.

But - he was one more example of the true meaning of biblical hospitality - "welcoming the stranger into the midst of the community". We aren't just one stranger but 170 strong (144 bikers and our drivers and support staff and it can be a bit overwhelming to have this "horde" descend upon some of the small communities. In some places we overwhelm the infrastructure - (think overflowing sewage systems) so for people to open up their schools and homes to us is something we treasure.


So it was another day of spending time sharing our story with the people of the varying communities and hearing their stories and for the most part being supported and encouraged.
(Every now and then someone we meet will suggest that the funds that are being incurred to do this ride would be better spent on community gardens or some similar suggestion.) But it isn't just about funds although we have raised a considerable amount; it's the raising of people's consciousness - awareness of how poverty isn't just lack of money but a whole mindset of hopelessness and despair. Not having money in and of itself is being broke. But not having hope or a way out of this mentality is true poverty. It's not that if a person has a positive mental attitude then they can think their way out of deprivation and despair; it is the awareness that one in this situation isn't alone and God is still with them. The sad part continues to be the realization that alas, there are enough resources for everyone on this planet - if everyone were willing to see that the resources are distributed evenly. Again - a bit of preaching.

Tonight I got to say the closing prayer for our group meeting. We took the time to say good-bye to 3 of the riders who are leaving this weekend. It is good to acknowledg that there will be a loss to the community. We acknowledged their presence among us as well as that they are leaving - but they will not be away from our thoughts and prayers.

- Random fact - There are 13 pastors participating in this bike ride.
Another random fact - Clip shoes/pedals are a great way to get the maximum benefit in riding.
It's a matter of not only having to push down on the pedals but you can pull up as well. This doubles the amount of effort that goes into riding and helps move things (me) along at a better pace.
Another another random fact - if you have a bike which keeps you upright (like my hybrid), be sure to remind yourself to relax your shoulders. That is one thing I have in my mind as I ride - don't tense up - it makes it harder. Today I did find a chiropracter in Ontario, Oregon. I wasn't really on planning finding one but as I was walking around looking for internet access, I passed the office of ONTARIO CHIROPRACTRIC. "Something" pulled me in...I asked the receptionist - Donna - if there was an opening and she said that as a matter of fact - someone had just canceled like literally minutes before I walked in. The doctor who saw me was Donna's daughter - Dr. Hillary and she was a gem. Because I go for chiropractice adjustments on a somewhat regular basis - (Thanks Dr. Dorneman) they were willing to take accept me as a one time patient.
Dr. Hillary worked wonders. I told her about the spill I took last week and after examining me she told me I had done some damage to my sternum. Basically I just need to keep it iced and take ibuprofen. The funny thing is it doesn't hurt when I bike, just when I lay down to sleep. It's not serious but it's another earned badge - reminder of what a challenge this ride is.

FOR ALL FAMILY & FRIENDS who know people along the route - remember, if you can encourage the people you know to come out and wave hi or take a moment to speak with us or just take a card, it would be really cool.

Oh also - THANKS TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO MY PERSONAL EFFORT. We just got our donation update today and I can't thank you enough for your help.

PICTURES - check out next post. I know a number of you are look forward to seeing them but please be patient. Our internet access is a bit limited and if I can get anything done, I try to write before uploading. But I promise - you will get quite a show when I get them in.

More songs -
John Mellencamp - THIS IS OUR COUNTRY
& for our departing riders - "GOD BE WITH YOU TILL WE MEET AGAIN" -



4 comments:

Haunted Fox said...

Hi, Joanna, I'm still following along with avid interest. We're having an IACUC meeting tomorrow, and I'll be sure to let everyone know your progress. They've all been asking about you!

A poem for you, that a friend read to me a few nights before I left for Guatemala. She read it to me as the moon was rising out of the lake in front of the island we were camped on- a truly magical setting for such a lovely piece of poetry.

****

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain!I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it, or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, “Yes!”

It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children.

It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you, from the inside, when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

by
Oriah Mountain Dreamer
copyright © 1999 by Oriah Mountain Dreamer.

Jess said...

Hi, Jo!
I just wanted to let you know that we are still keeping track of where you are each day - the boys ask every night where "Auntie Jo" is now, so we have incorporated checking out your whereabouts and blog into each night's normal bedtime routine (we usually choose one topic to research every night, and your trip has given us a few ideas) :)
I'm really happy to hear that it sounds like you are starting to hit your stride! I guess Rach was right about doing a new thing for two weeks :)
I am almost done getting the MP3 player together - you and I have eerily similar taste in music, LOL! Also, keep an eye out in Denver for a package from drugstore.com, but that's all I'm gonna say for now ;-)
Keep on going, can't wait to hear more!
jess (& Rob, kevin & Mikey, too)

Jess said...

(might be an accidental duplicate!)
Hi, Jo!
I just wanted to let you know that we are still keeping track of where you are each day - the boys ask every night where "Auntie Jo" is now, so we have incorporated checking out your whereabouts and blog into each night's normal bedtime routine (we usually choose one topic to research every night, and your trip has given us a few ideas) :)
I'm really happy to hear that it sounds like you are starting to hit your stride! I guess Rach was right about doing a new thing for two weeks :)
I am almost done getting the MP3 player together - you and I have eerily similar taste in music, LOL! Also, keep an eye out in Denver for a package from drugstore.com, but that's all I'm gonna say for now ;-)
Keep on going, can't wait to hear more!
jess (& Rob, kevin & Mikey, too)

Jo said...

Hi Jess -
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - don't know if you'll see this so I'll send an email as well.
Anyway - I am so happy to be Auntie Jo for the boys. Getting to know you all was an added treat which came out of this experience. Not a bad thing at all.
Hugs