Sunday, July 27, 2008

HOMEWARD BOUND

It's Sunday morning - and it's my last day with the tour for a while. As I wrote to numerous friends this past week - I realized that the new bike notwithstanding - it is time for me to take a break. I've been away from Dave & home for 5 weeks - (left a week early) and like everyone else, I am missing my beloved. But I also realized that I came into the tour with an empty tank and empty tanks don't go far. Well - I did get far enough along to know that with God and angels anything is possible. (Angels- "God's messengers). I've traveled over 1000 miles and done what I set out to do - "raise funds, raise awareness and ride".

Because of the events of the past year - with residual effects from previous life events - my emotional state/psyche was just drained. Having experienced the kind of evil that flourishes "when the good do nothing" - (not because of mean spirits but not realizing that we are called to act against injustice & an ignorant judge - yes I'm still peeved by that decision) - I embarked upon this endeavor because 1) it is a cause close to my heart & 2) to get me outside of myself. I accepted the challenge and I discovered that I have an inner strength which allows me to move forward in faith. However, I also (re)discovered the extent of how vulnerable I am and it wearied me much. So, I am stepping away from the tour - for a bit - to recoup - regroup and regain some energy. I hope to return to the ride in Grand Rapids (if I can get a plane ticket) and if not - join up in Niagra Falls or thereabouts.

I learned a number of things on this ride:
1) Be prepared - use the right tools for the job.
2) I will drink hot water and shower in cold.
3) Cadence is important for maintaining a good pace.
4) "Don't stop 'til you get to the top.
5) I will shill for Coke - Coke & ice became prime motivators to get me from point A to point B.
6) Angels do exist - not the commercialized ones that have proliferated in our culture but the ones who come from God to say "Fear Not!" and "I am with you always".
7) There are some saddles (bike seats) that, like certain types of underwear, should not be worn by some of us - thank goodness for old, comfortable, platonic saddles.
8) Friends will challenge you, hold you, and accept you for who you are - idiosyncrisies and all.
9) Cliche or not - it is the simple things in life that can mean the most - after relationships.
10) True friend will share the truth in love with one another - the measure of true friendship is the willingness to share & hear the truth. (poster at the YMCA resort in Winter Park).
11) Hospitality is sharing with the stranger in your midst.
12) School gymnasiums are great places to find words of wisdom - and some silliness.
13) Food cooked by others in love will always taste wonderful.
14) There is always someone faster than you & slower than you. We all have a place in this world and something to offer.
15) We are all created for a reason -with a purpose. Find out what it is and find joy in your life.
16) Music provides energy.
17) We can live with much less than we think we can.
18) A well timed word of encouragment also provides energy & endurance. It will keep a person going long past the point she thought she could go.
19) It must be a precondition of living near a school or park that one homeowner will have a dog that barks all night.
20) Watermelon is truly God's nectar.
21) It's ok to rest. The mountain does NOT have to be conquered in one day. Or one hour.
22) People are people - wherever they are from - whatever faith they profess - whatever their likes and/or dislikes. We may not like everyone - but respect and compassion are paramount to living a life worth living.
23) I can richochet off a curb - into another one - and not wipe out. Progress has been made.
24) I LOVE my family, home and friends. (Not that I didn't already know this - but I have been reminded again of how much.)
25) I had a true vision quest experience on the road & found my pilgrimage name. Will share if asked. Would like to find out the tribal equivalent of the name - if there is one.

I will be continuing the blog and hopefully after I get home will be able to get some more pictures up for you to see the amazing sights this country has to offer.
http://www.seatosea.org

Also - please continue to share the word about this tour and our purpose. We are still receiving contributions for the purpose of ending the cycle of poverty.
"If a family receives money for one meal - that is all they will receive. If they receive the funds to by a sewing machine to provide for themselves, then the cycle of poverty can be ended."
Henry (C2C rider west)

No comments: