Wednesday, July 9, 2008

July 7,8,9







Greetings from Baker City, Oregon.
MID-DAY Service
O God, come to my assistance, O Lord, make haste to help me.
OPENING PRAYER:

Jesus, Lord God and Creator of all things, be yourself our joy, you who are the future prize.
May our glory be in you always, through all the ages. Amen.

Psalm 119:25-32

Journey & Reflections:

On Monday at 7 a.m., Henry drove me back to the park at Kennewick WA and I got my things together and took off for Pendleton Oregon. For about 15 minutes things went well and I got a chance to talk to a road work in Pasco. (Pasco is the next town over from Kennewick).
I crossed the bridge, and kind of caught up with Brian & Bill and we made our way together for a while. We passed a couple of guys doing some work and sstopped to speak w/them about the tour. It was funny because the man I spoke with asked where we were from and where we are going to - I told him Jersey City, NJ. He said he knew we couldn't be from around that area as the city had just put in a whole bunch of new bike trails but we hadn't actually been riding any. I explained the purpose of our ride and he expressed encouragement.

(Never in my life did I ever think I would perceive Jersey City as the Promised Land but for some of us that is what it is feeling like. So all ye citizens of JC - a place that has not always received respect - know that you are the place to which we are headed and you reside in our imaginations as the final destination - ok, not permanent final destination but nonetheless - JC now means something else in addtion to the obvious.)

While we realize that reaching JC will be a major achievment, the fact is, we live moment from moment - day to day as we pursue the ultimate goal of raising the funds and awareness to mjake a difference in the lives of others.


So, about 1/2 hour into what appeared to be a good day - the self-doubts crept back in again and I found myself thinking I will never get to the point where I can keep up with anyone - and why Larry bothered teaching me to ride draft (following close behind another rider so that the rear rider fnds it easier to pedal and keep up) was beyond me and all those other thoughts that like to infiltrate when one has time to think. But then - out of the blue Jim B. came alongside of me and kept me going through the rest of Washington into Oregon.

Jim and I rode through more high desert country - not what I expected in Oregon - and he kept me going a loooooong way. We enjoyed conversation and he like so many others on this ride maintained his patience and good humor.

(Pictures will be on next blog).

At one point - we got into a little hamlet and as we drove through - a man sitting in a building asked us if we would like some cold water. I immediately rode my bike over, said yes and we spent some time talking. His name is Lewis. (I have been experiencing tastes of my life through the years in little ways like this - Lewis was my dad's name & last week I met a woman named Vivian, mom's name and similar type things. I suppose we can make meaning out of anything and since I like to - that's what I've been doing). The water came from an artesian welll and was very refreshing. Jim and I continued on and a few miles down the rode met up with Steve and Frank. It was Steve & Frank who rode with me almost to the school in Pendleton. However, as we got to the drive up to the school - Gayle came up and noted that it was just "wrong" that we would have to go up one more steep hill.
Monday had been a day of incredible climbing and to have to go up this one more incline was just a bit too much. Frank & Steve made it up and I sort of shuffled along. It got to be a bit much and out of the blue Alec rode past me and realized that I was in a bit of trouble. He took my bike and walked it up the hill to the school. There are many incidences such as this and it is what makes what seems like an impossible situation doable.

It was a tough night. I actually fell asleep in the truck for a moment and then Dave T. suggested I could nap in his tent. I did that and while I did he got my tent up. Again - it's stuff like this that makes you know we are a community.

There are less pictures from the last couple of days as a result of them being a bit challenging. Yesterday (8th) also incorporated a lot of up & down riding and if we could eliminate the hills and the heat it would be all good. My "babysitters" from yesterday were Bert & Dave both pastors in the CRC. Brian also gets special mention. Brian doesn't just encourage - he literally pushes some of us up the inclines. Several of the young men do this for those of us who need the extra push and you come to realize that angels do truly live among us. These younger guys have the strength and stamina to not only get themselves up the hills but they get some of the rest of us to where we are trying to go.

Special note from yesterday: after getting to the park site I did get in 10 laps in the pool and while in the shower a woman named Denise was talking with Liz (one of the riders). Denise was really interested in our ride and what we are doing and as we left the showers asked if there was anything she could do for us. I said thanks but I couldn't think of anything but keep us in prayer and let people know about the ride. About an hour later she came back looking for me wanting to give me some health supplies as she used to work in a health food store. She also has a brother in law who rides and he has just undergone hip sugery. I did remember I needed to buy a card for Dave's birthday on Friday. She said she'd come back to get me and take me to Wal-Mart for one. She also said to let anyone else know that they could come.
I made the announcement at our group meeting and Arnie said he would come as well. At 9 Denise came back and we went to the store - I got a card and some other things and she brought me to her house to give me some of her son's old sports socks to use a cooler when riding - (idea from Marti D., avid rider). We then picked Arnie up from Wendy's and came back to camp.

This morning we left La Grande - and I did ride out of town w/a group of riders. They got a bit ahead and I stopped at the Flying J rest stop for ice, a drink and to spread the word. The manager who used to be a news guy called up the local paper. I did let hm know that the tour is keeping the media informed but he wanted to call anyway. The local paper let him know that they had already spoken to some of us and so we said our goodbyes and I headed off.
It was not too much later that I caught up with Len, Agatha & Mark. It was a good ride and I got to our site around 2 p.m. Got my shower (I have never encountered so much hot water in public showers in my life - I never thought I'd want a cold shower but COLD IS GOOD - IT IS MY NEW FRIEND) and have spent the last couple of hours trying to catch up with the news from the road. Of course there has been a lot of good conversation going on and I have been a bit distracted. I will wrap up here as it's about 1 minute to dinner and finish up either later or hopefully tomorrow.

Be well, be blessed.

There are several of us on the tour who are pastors although aside from Alida (one of the tour chaplains) I am the only female. This is one difference between the CRC & the RCA but to be honest - the differences are so superficial as to be ludicrous. The thing is - we think certain things are so relevant and significant but in fact - when it comes to what counts - loving God and loving one another - there isn't much that should be keeping us separate. I will post the pictures from yesterday with commentary but it was today's conversation with Len (head chaplain) that really underscored this. The thing I have come to realize is that while we in the east see the CRC as superspiritualized and conservative (I say that as a result of previous conversations) the truth is they are no more, no less faithful and human than anyone else in any denomination or no denomination.

Down to earth, compassionate, committed. And people (not on this tour) who are just people with all their faults and foibles just like the rest of us. Well, yes, all of us - on and off the tour are people, each seeking their way in life - traveling their own roads, cycling, running, coasting, hiking, walking etc. just trying to get to the destination.

Songs which come to mind - "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" - The Hollies; "How Beautiful" - Twila Paris;

No comments: