Thursday, July 3, 2008

Various thoughts & reflections

First off - major thank-you to Dr. Sandy - a vet from the area who is participating as a support person in Yakima. Sandy was posted along the route to guide us to the proper route as it changed last night slightly.
We got directed to a bike path which took us straight into Yakima & a Christian school who is hosting us. Forgive any typos or mistakes tonight - I am trying to quickly catch up as Sandy is letting me use her computer to do some catching up.


Yesterday was not as easy as some people thought. We had 2 major climbs to make & I rode up most of the first and got a ride the rest of the way. But then I got to ride downhill which is the best feeling. Then there was another "hill" to climb and I walked pretty much most of the way - and stopped - and walked and stopped - and ate and stopped and ate. We have been strongly advised to keep up our food & hydration intake as this is a pretty grueling endeavor - (yes E., I am getting my exercise - and more. This pretty much goes beyond exercise).

Anyway - one of the riders - Hank - managed to keep himself pedaling and because he was - I decided I'd give it a try. I rode about 2 of the 3 miles up and then we stopped for a bit and then got to ride about 10 miles downhill till we hit Ellensburg where we stayed.

The question of the day for me had to do with the fact that as I rode the first hill, I encountered a man walking up as well. We actually leapfrogged for a couple of miles as he started up before I did. I had stopped to get a Coke and postcards and rest at a little stop on the way (picture included). So, I caught up to him, passed and then stopped to rest as he passed by me. This went on for a couple of miles and while I was wishing I was already up to the top - it occured to me he probably wished he had a bike. I'm pretty sure he was a laborer from the area - trying to get to a logging site and while they were along the road, he had a ways to travel.

So, here I am - on a bike - because I want to be - and there he was - walking along, in the heat, in long pants and a flannel shirt trying to get somewhere. The absurdity was too much. I camethisclose to giving him the bike. I know - you all would wring my neck if I had - never mind what I would do for the rest of the tour - but I couldn't escape the thought that in all liklihood - he was one of the people we are riding for. I did share lunch and kept on going. Corey - one of our support people found me and I took the last leg up the hill in the van. But I still can't help but wonder if this isn't one of those times when the absurd is the way to go.


I did get to our site in time to help set up for dinner as yesterday was my team's turn to help with dinner. That ran through this morning - setting up for breakfast - cleaning up - putting the tents and things back on the truck and then riding behind the rest of the group as encouragment and just to keep an eye on things.

Today was a short ride - 40 or so miles - and I actually got to our site by 12:30- 1:00. I set up the tent - (almost, there is a piece missing - Rachel - I'm going to have to get you a new one - this trip has been pretty hard on all the equipment), took a shower, washed clothes - in the shower - hung them up (& given the heat we had today - they are probably already dry) and then got to take a trip to Wal-Mart where I picked up a couple of things and then went back to "camp" to try to update this blog and catch up with everyone. However, the satellite doesn't seem to be working again - and it was taking forever for pages to come up - phone line connections go faster. That is how I got to come here - as Sandy offered me the chance to use her computer so I could do this. (Speaking of camp - Edie & Helen, I passed a street last night called Ockanogon. Close enough to fool me for a minute - wonder what my former counselors would think of my involvement with this given my lack of get up & go when I went to Matolly?)

I also realized yesterday that while I do like to ride alone - I do want to be part of a group. Not because I am comparing myself or wanting be like someone else (read the devotion from yesterday) but because it would just be nice to hang out w/a group when they went for coffee or whatever before getting to the site. And it would be nice to get to our sites before 5:00 p.m. Today was a bit unusual in that it was a shorter ride - but on the days we have long endurance rides, I don't get in until late and it would just be nice to have some time to do things before dinner.

The other thing I did last night was carry water from the shower to our clean up table and it was a fairly long walk. It made me think of the CROP Walk motto: "We walk because they walk".
It echoes why we are riding. We are having to do without some of our creature comforts - and we get to use the shower to wash our clothes and it's all very communal. Something I enjoy but again - I get a choice in participating in these few weeks of some discomfort. Far too many people don't have a choice at all. As has been said - "poverty isn't a choice & it's not something one can easily walk away from". (I say easily because people have had their life situations change - but again - poverty can also refer to state of mind - and attitude as well.

Well, have to go - need to get back to camp so again - I hope I get the pictures up before the end of the week and perhaps get a little bit more organized in my recording of our adventures - but in the meantime - check out everyone else's - you may get to see where we have been and what others are thinking about as we travel.


And don't forget - "t's not too late to donate, feel free to participate"
Peace & blessings to all - and hugs for you know who.

Jo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanna:

I have been eager to see how the trip was going for you. thanks for the update. My wife, Ginny, and I have been reading the blogs with great interest each evening. It was difficult to leave Seattle and leave all the great people I had met. I wanted to stay for at least another week and go along for the experience. Based on all the blogs, it has been both challenging and rewarding. Keep safe, be blessed and keep updating your site when possible. We lool forward to following your journey.


Al & Ginny Vander Hart

Haunted Fox said...

Hi, Joanna. I read between the lines of this last post and felt a great pain in my heart for you. There is nothing I can do or say to alleviate what you felt watching that man. It was good of you to share some time with him. There are some who never quite forgive ourselves for being born into the first world at all, when faced with others who have so much less than we do. I suspect that the physical challenge of this ride is nothing compared to the challenge of undertaking a pilgrimage while in transition. In a week and a half the physical part will get better- I all but promise. HANG IN THERE! :-)

The Dalai Lama writes that "compassion is the ability to feel others' suffering, while love is wanting to share with others your joy". If you can fill your heart with joy at the thought that God chose this activity for you, and wanted you to benefit from the sheer beauty, richness, and variety of the experience; it might help ease your conscience. It will also help you share that joy with others along the way, and that, my friend, is something that none of us get enough of.

You are healing fast. A very wise person taught me healing doesn't begin until the soul can answer three questions: Who am I? Where did I come from? and Why am I here [in this situation at this time, this place, this day]? Know thyself, perhaps for the first time in your life, truly know thyself. Let the healing grace of God into your life. You are a very special person, and learning that can give you great joy. Without the pain, though, there is no joy.

On a practical note, do you need a new tent? The one we lent you was very old, and if you're going to get wet, it should be replaced ASAP.

Sending you love, light, and prayers.

RS