Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mad Dogs and Englishmen

That was the title of yesterday's blog. However, after writing for 45 minutes while not getting to sleep as early as I would have liked, I managed to delete the whole thing. So, I'll do my best to recreate the events of the previous days and include today's as well. Pictures will come separately.

It has been wicked hot this last week and days since we saw any kind of rain. Although on Thursday there was a brief shower apparently for a mere few seconds - which I was too late for. It occured at the border of Idaho & Utah. I made it through Idaho thanks to Brian, Mark, Justin and other encouragers and made it to our campsite last night at Willard but knew this morning that I had had about all I could take. I did an 82 mile day on Thursday which lasted from 7 in the morning until 7 p.m. That was the day I had my first & second flat tire - same one - 12 hours between flat 1 & flat 2. Jerry fixed the morning flat & Larry the evening flat. Thank goodness that took care of it because I am not sure how I would have reacted if it had been flat Friday morning. We stayed in Snowville Thursday & had a great time using the creative shower that Ed rigged up for us. There may be pictures elsewhere - I didn't get around to shooting that. On the way out however I had trouble with my brakes and Len unclipped them since they were dragging on the tire. Given how much weight I'm carrying w/the bike there is no way I could ride w/the extra friction. It was the front brakes so it wasn't too bad. I rode for about 10 miles that way and when we got to the first stop a couple of the guys took care of it. Mark and I rode most of Friday together which really made the ride go well. We stopped at a cafe in Corinne where a number of us had stopped and had lunch. He then went on ahead and Dave from the sweep team rode me into camp. I was exhausted but took a swim in the lake. The lake is actually 3 salt water lakes that have flowed from the mountains. That makes the water salty but it's been dammed off too so that there is fresh water to swim in. Needless to say I was happy. I ended up sleeping on the beach last night which was nice. The ground was hard and there were bugs but thanks to the OFF and Rachel's sleeping bag I had a decent sleep. There is still quite a bit of the Jersey in me.

Today was our hardcore day. After 3 hours of riding I decided enough was enough. Additionally - some crazy person tried to scare me pretty good. I don't know if he actually wanted to run me off the road but he came up behind me - laid on his horn and then came up close to my side and drove off. That was it!! I called Corey to come get me. Between the fact I seem to be getting slower and slower and that little incident I was ready to call it a day. Maybe I am a wimp - or maybe I just feel like I have raised funds and awareness & I want to get home - alive but I also wanted to go home. I miss Dave - I miss my home, my pets - my chickies and I don't have anything to prove -right? But I don't want to give up either. I really am happy to be here and perhaps narrower tires would make enough difference so that I am not draining myself. It's not that I mind being behind so much as the fact that I don't have the down time that the stronger riders have when getting into camp. I know - stop whining. Don't mean to - but this is the inner conversation that keeps going on. I stopped in at the church rest stop and it was interesting. I was asked how I was and then someone kind of suggested that I could perhaps do the rest of the tour anyway (not in a pressure way - just kind of encouraging me to try) and then someone else came by and affirmed me in that she understands the need to know when to stop and draw the line. It was funny because I had this image of the biker w/horns on one shoulder and a biker with wings & halo on the other. (Again - not referring to the actual people I spoke with - they are both angels). Be wise - be brave - be proactive - give it a shot.
I think wisdom won out. As Corey & I drove up the mountain that the rest of the bikers were riding up I knew that if I had tried to make this ascent I would have been shipped home with my bike either comatose or gone. I realized I am adventurous - not suicidal. Besides I believe that if I spend today & tomorrow re-charging - then I have a good shot at doing the ride on Monday that is also supposed to be heavy-duty.

I got to our site first and the look on Ed's face was priceless. In a small way I feel kind of guilty but I can't do that to myself. What I was able to do was start to unload the gear truck (similar to unloading bales of hay - I'll be ready when I get home honey for that) and just tried to help out as much aroudn the site. We are in Jordonelle State Park by Park City (site of 2002 Olympics).
It's a beautiful area The difficult part for the riders coming in is that the campsites are quite a distance away from where the trucks are parked and so people are going to have to walk away to where the tents will be set up. Fortunately - there are people here who are transporting the tents and gear to the sites so that folks won't have to carry them so far. There are also a number of people here from the local congregation who will be hosting members of the team tonight at their homes. Our worship service won't be until tomorrow evening so people can sleep in.
I know that will be a treat although I have a feeling that sleeping in for some of them means sleeping till 6 or 7 instead of 7 or 8. I may or may not go home with someone as there my not be enough room for everyone who wants to stay over with someone. But I did speak w/someone who knows bikes and it looks like I will have to make some adjustments on "Lucy Blue" if I want to finish this trip. It's more psychological than anything as cliche as that may sound. But the fact is - I can't keep up this pace and expect to finish. So, I am looking at getting narrower, puncture resistant tires and a new stem (so I can lean more) and having the bike fitted to me. I think it's what I have to do if I am going to finish this out. If those changes aren't enough - at least I know I've done what I can so that I have more of an advantage and not more disadvantage.

Yes, you read tha right - "Lucy Blue" That's my bike's name. She's earned it. "Lucy" for the "I Love Lucy" character and her misadventures & "Blue" for being true, blue faithful.

I'll do my best to post before & after pictures if we can get her adjusted tomorrow. Sterling (the man & spoke with) and his wife Karen are avid riders and really know their stuff. He will find out if the local bike shop is open tomorrow and take me there so that I can done what I need to.

Dinner is being served - will do my best to get back to this tonight and get some pictures posted.
Peace & Blessings on your night.
Jo

No comments: