Sunday, July 20, 2008

Missing in Cyber Space

O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will proclaim your praise.
May our compassionate God drive away all our anguish, bestow health and give us by the loving-kindness of our God, the kingdom of the heavens.

Psalm 63:1-8
Collect
Eternal Lord, our God, the beginning and end of our lives, give us grace to serve you with joy that we might know that our full and lasting happiness is a life of constant service to you and our neighbor. We ask this through oru Lord Jesus Christ your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever. Amen

Reflection:

Greetings this sunny Sunday morning - this is the day that the Lord has made - let us rejoice and give thanks.

However, I posted a blog yesterday and it seems to have disappeared. I have no idea where it wnet to. I am partly amused - partly annoyed because it takes a bit of time to get these things done and to have spent that much time and not see it posted this morning is a bit of a downer.
(Although a friend wrote and told me she had seen it so I'm not sure where it has ended up).

Anyway - the real downer may be for some bikers this morning when they wake up to find their bikes all knocked over. Last night the wind came whipping through the park (Jordanelle St. Park, Utah) like I have NEVER experienced before. It was like a mighty force that had a soul of its own. Bikes were knocked down and people's equipment was spread around as if a small child had a temper tantrum and in a fit just threw the things around.

It was a trying day for the riders with the distance and climb of 6000' that they had to make. There was both exhiliration and frustration when they got into camp. If you were able to read yesterday's blog - you know I didn't make the trip. I was being proactive in that I rode as far as I could which wasn't all that far and then had to hop a ride with Corey -one of our support team members. Whether it's my bike and/or my physical capabilities - I knew if I tried to make yeterday's climb I probably would be finished for a couple of days if not for good. As they came in and I heard their comments I felt that my decision was the best one for me - even if I am somewhat disappointed. But that's the thing - if this ride is about "the cause" then I - along with each individual rider has to know when to push and when to back off. It can be a challenge because what I am coming to discover is that bikers can be extreme in their commitment to keep riding. Not that commitment is a bad thing, I don't want to suggest that. But I think it's hard for some to understand how some of us can't get up day after day and just ride no matter what. Believe me - it's not for lack of desire. But as a long ago friend said - even though we want to treat our kids equally - we can't treat them the same. And I think that applies in some fashion to this or similar situations. We aren't all the same and as Paul indicates in his wisdom - each body part has a part to play in the overall scheme of things.
God called Moses - Moses thinks that's crazy - he can't speak clearly - he isn't good with people and yet - God says - "Go to Pharaoh & tell him to 'let my people go'.
God called Jeremiah - J says - "no, wait, I'm just a child - not ready for this" -God says - "Do not say you are too young".
God called Mary - "Mary - you are going to bear a child and his name will be Jesus". Mary isn't quite sure how this will happen but says - in spite of how crazy it all seems that she will do whatever God asks of her.

It doesn't make sense of a lot of time - what God asks of us - and this ride definitely qualifies - but I'm not about to argue with God. I've tried it - it doesn't work. Many of us have come to that conclusion in our lives and we do our best to be faithful to the "call", whatever that looks like.

QUESTIONS THAT MAKE YOU THINK:
IS FAILURE ALWAYS BAD AND SUCCESS ALWAYS GOOD?

4 comments:

kbach352 said...

Oh what a difference the right bike makes! Dave loves his new bike and can make his ride to and from work so much faster. If you have the chance to make a change I hope you will. We want you to succeed and to return home safely. If you stopped now we'd still be proud of you.

Jo said...

Thanks Kris -
It always helps to know there are those of you out there who know and love me - even with my idiosyncrisies. (sorry, sp?)
Anyway - I will see if the changes can be made. If not, I will have to consider what step to take next. I will stay w/the ride through Denver - regardless.
Hugs

Jo said...

Found the blog from yesterday - "Mad Dogs..."
Am trying to get pictures up.
Started to do that and they disappeared. This is quite the challenge. I'm not sure which is more of a challenge - the biking or getting on the internet and not losing all the work one does.
No, I think the biking is harder.
But I'm in much better shape.
Can't get that on a computer.

Unknown said...

Hi Joanna
Glad to see you're doing so well and discovered clipless pedals. My rides are short compared to what you're doing but I think they help.
Try to get back by next Classis meeting will ya.
Great job,
Steve
Kinderhook Reformed