Wednesday, June 25, 2008

REFLECTIONS - Wed - June 25

BELOW IS AN EMAIL EXCHANGE I HAD WITH A LOCAL D.J. RE: OUR EFFORTS.
I copied it here as I want to re-emphasize why I am participating in this
incredible effort. I have also been greatly encouraged by Dave & many of our
friends. As one friend stated and as so many of you understand:

"This is such a great thing that you are doing! I understand the soul's need for the occasional pilgrimage. Further, there is no cause that is more urgent to our peace, stability, and future than poverty awareness and reduction. What you are doing takes a lot of courage and determination, and I am truly happy for you that you have accepted this challenge.

I will keep you close in thoughts and prayers as you start your journey.
Please know that you have my full support, and I believe that
you can do this."


EXCHANGE W/D.J. Michelle Taylor 98.5 Lite F.M. Hudson Valley, NY
Hi Michelle -
I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to speak with me on Saturday in Hudson.
If there is anything you can do to promote this effort it will be very much appreciated.

With the economy being what it is - people who not too long ago were supporting food banks etc., are now in need of their services.
And, of course the food banks and similar services are suffering as a result of the faltering economy. I'm sure you are fully well aware of the situation but suprisingly - many people are unaware of the depth of deprivation present
even in their own neighborhoods. Of course what we experience as deprivation
in our country (and there are pockets of extreme poverty) don't
come close to what people in the rest of the world experience daily.

I could send you all kinds of examples and figures but those can be found
anywhere on the web.
I'm just hoping that people will continue to contribute to this effort
in whatever way they can. Donations and pledges can be made throughout
the month of August.

The direct link is http://www.crcna.org/pages/sea_profile_tipplej.cfm

Anyone who wants to follow the progess of the ride thoughout the summer can
go to www.seatosea.org and check out the blogs which many of the bikers will be posting as we record this incredible experience.
Thanks again - and be well in all your endeavors -
Sincerely - Rev. Joanna Tipple


Joanna Tipple is riding her bike across the country in the summer of
2008 to raise money in order to help alleviate poverty, both domestic, and
abroad. To find out more, or to donate to Joanna, please check out the
following link.
http://www.crcna.org/pages/sea_profile_tipplej.cfm


On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Taylor, Michelle wrote:
Pastor Jo:

Good Morning….It was so great to meet you as well and each day I have mentioned your effort and mission to Cycle to End Poverty. I hope that my effort will show you results.

All my best to you and again, it was such a pleasure to meet you Pastor Jo.
Michelle



Hi Michelle -
It was also a pleasure to meet you and whatever the results may be, you have
participated in this truly worthwhile effort in your willingess to help in a way that
covers far more territory than my efforts have. There have been a number of donations which have come in and I am not familiar with some of the names so it is possible that your participation has indeed helped out.

Brief update: I am now in Seattle preparing for the journey that is to come.
A friend's cousin has been very gracious in that she has opened her home to me
to come a few days early so I could acclimate to the time change & pick up some
additional supplies. This helped in that it was enough to get my bike and a back-pack
cross country intact.

Anyway - take care, enjoy the summer and check out our progress when you can.
I also have a blog at http://jo-seatosea.blogspot.com
I hope to keep it updated regularily with news and pictures.
Peace - Pastor Jo

*******************************************************************

11:30 a.m. (PST)
I am curiously not experiencing a major case of nerves. As I said - maybe
I just haven't really comprehended enough to be nervous. Although I know
that for me - this will be the undertaking of a lifetime - labor & delivery
notwithstanding some 28 & 27 years ago.
Maybe I'm still too tired. I slept about 12 hours last night. My body
seems to be adjusting pretty well however to the time change. The only thing
I'm noticing is that I feel like it should be later in the day - not still morning.

I look forward to being a tourist for the next couple of days in Seattle as well
as completing my preparations for the trip.
More to come...

1 comment:

kbach352 said...

I am so impressed that you are actually beginning this adventure! I hope that you have a really cushy seat on that bicycle of yours because you're gonna need it. You're in my prayers. God bless. Kris